Start Railroad dating spikes

Railroad dating spikes

The university reports an absence of evidence as to when and by whom it came into its possession.

The only markings on the spike are the indentations on the head, which tradition says were made by the silver hammer when it was driven into the tie as the last spike.

Nor are there any claw marks on or under the head to indicate its removal from a tie.

But because of the conflicting stories of the events of that day written by persons present at the ceremonies, the various factors involved will first be considered. There are extant no official or public records of the day's events, so that reliance must be placed on the statements of the persons present who sent dispatches then or later, or who wrote items or gave interviews at later dates. Beadle in the Utah Daily Reporter, 2 days after the events took place: namely, that no arrangements had been made for the ceremony and at the last minute a few items of procedure were laid down.

Over 20 newspapers had 1 or more reporters present; 3 persons present wrote diaries; and G. "As it was, the crowd pushed upon the workmen so closely that less than 20 persons saw the affair entirely, while none of the reporters were able to hear all that was said"; and he "regrets that the noise and confusion prevented us from hearing their addresses." C. Savage and Bowsher stated later that they did not see the whole of the ceremony as they were both too busy.

The last spike will be carefully preserved." Within 10 days the spike was somewhat remodeled, the "E.

Ruhling & Co." stamp was removed, and it was polished and inscribed with "To Leland Stanford President of the Central Pacific Railroad.

After the ceremony, its return to Nevada was reported 3 days later: that G. Gage arrived in Virginia City "early yesterday [May 11] bringing with him the Nevada silver spike driven at the point where the connection was made between the Central Pacific and the Union Pacific railroads.

After a train passed over them both the gold spike of California and silver spike of Nevada were taken out and iron spikes substituted.

Its existence was mentioned by a number of newspapers in both San Francisco and Sacramento when it was on exhibition, but after that it was not mentioned as such during the presentation of the 4 ceremonial spikes, and was only included anonymously as one of the "two gold spikes" used on that day.

It was presented to President Stanford by Frank Marriott, proprietor of the San Francisco News Letter.

It was described as about 5 inches in length, weighing about 9 1/2 ounces and valued at about $200, and was inscribed: "With this spike the San Francisco News Letter offers its homage to the great work which has joined the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.